Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Games

I was never much of a video games player. I occasionally played a Mickey Mouse game at my friend’s house but that’s it . My parents never got me hooked on that kind of entertainment. However, I did play computer games, ranging from Titanic to educational mathematics games. I have always been one for board games though. Every night at the cottage my parents and I would play a variety of board and card games.

I found it really interesting to learn the stats on games and gamers. I have many friends and family members who love playing both computer games and video games. My aunt and uncle, who are in their 50’s, are addicted to the Wii; whereas my twelve year old cousin is addicted to Xbox. Here are some of the stats that I learned from the lecture:

-The average game player is 35 years old

-In 2009, 25% of games were over the age of 50

-97% of teens aged 12-17 play computer, web, or portable consoles

-50% of teens played “yesterday”

-5% are playing “right now”

Overall I don’t have a problem with games. Some can be more educational than others. They are a great way to just let loose, relax, and take your mind off real life issues. They can also be a good way to socialize at parties-have competitions. At my friend’s birthday party one year, we all got into teams and had a mini Wii competition. However, it has been proven that people tend to take the more violent video games more literally than they are supposed to and make them into real life. The car chasing, shooting, killing, that’s fantasy. We cannot let these video games influence our real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment