Monday, November 30, 2009

Personal Footprints

One thing we talked about in lecture this week was “Personal Footprints.” A personal footprint is information specifically about you that appears on the internet as public information. We should always be careful what we post online (pictures, videos, contact information) because it could come back to haunt us. Many business leaders when hiring, will check up on their applicants’ footprints. If any unsuitable information appears, (meaning it’s nothing flattering about that person) then the job you want could be in jeopardy; most likely you won’t be hired. Also, you wouldn’t want photos or personal information getting into the wrong hands. The internet is so public; you don’t know who could be checking you out online. Everyone has access to that information, so you should always be careful!!

I was really curious about what my personal footprint looked like, so I ‘googled’ myself! I was disappointed that hardly anything came up, just my blog site (this one!) and a page on Facebook that my high school made up. Nothing terrible came up, so I guess I’ll be fine for future job opportunities!!! It’s fun seeing what comes up when you ‘google’ yourself, try it one day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment